Fee Waiver Information

Sterling Public Schools is pleased to announce the implementation of the Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) for the 2019-20 school year.

What is the Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) that was recently approved by the Board?

CEP is a program under the Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010. All Students in Sterling Public Schools may receive breakfast and lunch during the school year at no charge to their families, regardless of income level. Families will not need to complete an application for the Free and Reduced Lunch program, but those requesting a fee waiver will need to complete a fee waiver form (see more information below).

What schools will be affected by the CEP?

All of the schools in Sterling Public Schools are affected by CEP.

What meals are provided under CEP?

Regular breakfast and lunch meals are covered under CEP. These are the meals that are listed on the school menus each day.

What meals are not covered under CEP?

Ala carte items that are served at Challand Middle School and Sterling High School are not covered and your student must still pay for these. Second meals and extra milk must also be paid for.

What if there is money remaining in my child’s food service account?

Those funds can be used to cover Ala Carte food and drink purchases. If you do not believe your child will make any other food service purchases, then the balance can be moved to your fee account. Contact the District Business Office at 815-626-5050 to request your balance be moved to your fee account.

What about fee waiver forms and do I need to complete one?

Since your student can now eat breakfast and lunch for free, you do not have to complete a free and reduced lunch application. Those families that are direct certified under the guidelines established by the State of Illinois will continue to be direct certified and fees will be waived. Those families that are not direct certified but feel they fall under the low income guidelines that match the USDA low income guidelines, will fill out a Fee Waiver Application.  You must include proof of income when you turn this form into the District Office.